Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Spirit of the Law...


Here is a picture of three harmless items that have tempted me today (and my socks). 

The pepper and flavoring packets would make my rice and beans taste so much better; the cheese is going to waste in my fridge and would make my flimsy egg pasta into a meal, no? How much could a dash of pepper or a slice of cheese cost? Would it really compromise the integrity of our experiment? 

This is the kind of discussion those who really live below the line are denied. Random and diverse food options don't appear out of thin air for them. And that is the reason why that pinch of pepper, or getting your mom to cook a little of your meal, or "paying" for a dash of soy sauce may actually challenge the project. Yes, if someone buys me a cup of coffee, it hasn't come out of my budget, but then again, we haven't committed ourselves to $1.50 a day to account for all our expenses, only our food. We aren't taking on the total hardship of living below the line: this is a simulation, and cutting even the smallest of corners dulls the edge of the lesson we are learning.

Stay strong. Stay committed. But if you stay in, stick to the program. It's hard, but it's worth it.

And if you drop out, do so cleanly and honestly, and be thankful you aren't denied this discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment